Search This Blog

10.03.2009

The Pillar of the Earth

by Ken Follett

Someone loaned me this book, don't remember who, and it has sat on my shelf for months. Its 1,000-page size was more than a little intimidating for a busy mom and worker bee and I wasn't bursting to read it.

It's an 'epic' novel with war, famine, royalty and peasants, power and greed and lust. The plot summary reminded me of something Taylor Caldwell would write and I loved her books when I was young.

The book follows the birth, building, and completion of a great English Cathedral and the forces and people who made it happen. I'm a sucker for ancient (or even old) English history so this was right up my alley.

I've enjoyed many Follett novels; he reminds me of Stephen King. He's an excellent writer and storyteller and his books are sure to entertain. Follett's a little more florid than King, with more Hollywoodish sex scenes and one-dimensional villains.

There's a sequel to this book and I'll read to someday but it's not one of those things that I can't wait for. It was good, it was enjoyable, but it was forgettable.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver