Search This Blog

10.26.2010

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky

by Heidi Durrow

I look forward to reading more of this author. She's got such great voice, telling the story by showing, not explaining.
In the book a biracial girl, orphaned, has to move in with her grandmother and aunt. Previously, she had never thought much about her identity and now it is everywhere. Gradually a horrible secret is revealed, slowly explaining why the main character is so withdrawn, so willing to keep everything to herself.
As a bonus, the story takes place in Portland and so much is familiar.
I enjoyed the first half of the book more, the author captured the way children's minds think so well.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver