Search This Blog

10.01.2011

Stiff

By Mary Roach


Oh my god, I loved this book.
Roach has a journalism background, I think, and it shows in her writing. Great narrative, conversational tone, science made simple and interesting.
Roach investigates everything you'd want to know about human bodies after death: how you know you're dead, decomposition, autopsy and funeral prep, bodies as tools (weapons testing, crash test dummies, medical research), burial and other means of disposal.
She looks at all those topics in terms of today and past eras, with meticulous and fascinating research. I'm definitely looking for more stuff by this author.

Loved it, loved it.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver