Search This Blog

1.01.2012

State Fair

by Earlene Fowler

This was a fast vacation read, over the holidays. I stumbled on Fowler's first book back in the early 1990s, when I was bitten by the quilting bug (it's theme was around a quilt) and found myself liking it, despite myself.
I don't usually like series, or genre books -- like romance, or mysteries, or horror -- but her 'Benni Harper' books is a mystery series and a good one.
The characters are well-defined, the plots not to predictable and the writing crisp.
What else can you ask for?
In this book of the series a young man is killed during the county fair and Harper, curator in a folk art museum in central California, is drawn into the crime. It seems as she goes on Fowler's Harper series has less and less to do with quilting and I kinda miss that.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver