Search This Blog

1.08.2014

News from Heaven

by Jennifer Haigh


This was an audio book and by the time I got around to listening I had forgotten it was collection of loosely interwoven short stories, all connected to the same small East Coast town,

Once I got over my surprise I sank into the stories. It reminded me very much of the short stories by Alice Munro, some of which have connections, some strong, some as delicate as a spider's web.

Bakerton, Penn., is a working class town but the stories don't just touch on the miners or millworkers. There are stories about troubled heiresses, repressed merchants and confused kids. Each one is compelling and yet careful in how it peels back the layers of the people and their stories -- which can different depending on who you ask.

I found out this author has another collection of short stories in Bakerton. I'm gettin' it.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver