Search This Blog

9.05.2010

Disgrace

by JM Coetzee

This is the novel equivalent of the indie movie. Quirky, dark and humorous, with tremendously messed-up characters and an unresolved ending.
It was great.
My daughter gave me this book. I love the full-circleness of having nurtured her love of reading by suggested authors and books when she was young, and now she introduces me to writers I never would notice otherwise.
"Disgrace" follows a university professor in South Africa whose life has unraveled, as his own doing. He flails about, unsure how to pick up the pieces. The political/racial problems in South Africa are alluded to in the novel but are written subtly, as if the author expects the reader to be accustomed to how if affects day to day life. I found that a bit too subtle in my case and therefore frustrating.
But overall, expertly written and very compelling.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver