Search This Blog

7.10.2011

13 1/2


by NEVADA BARR

I've always enjoyed Nevada Barr; I've read several of her forest ranger-turned-detective series and found them engaging, funny, unpredictable and original. None of those things are typical for formulaic detective mysteries.
This one was not part of the series but an atypical psychological thriller about a sociopath, very surprising and dark.
Loved it.
The book opens with a horrific murder that orphaned two young boys. The story line jumps around a bit, from the post-murder childhood, the family before the murders, and a seemingly unrelated present-day story set in New Orleans. I kept changing my mind about the mysteries and I kept being wrong.
I love books with great characters that I can't predict.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver