Search This Blog

7.10.2011

Honolulu

by Alan Bennert

A good story, well-researched and told, about a Korean picture bride who comes to Hawaii. The story tells the story of Honolulu, and Oahu, from the turn of the century through the 1930s, using her life as a tool.
I found the parts in Korea most interesting, maybe because I already know a good amount about Hawaiian history. The culture in Korea was fascinating to me, as I knew little about it.
Regret (sons are preferred) longs for a life away from the constraints of early 20th century Korea and accepts a mail-order marriage. The marriage fails but she makes a life for herself on Oahu.
The author uses Regret to tell the story of plantation workers, racial prejudice, Oahu's wealthy elite and even the Aloha wear industry.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver