Search This Blog

11.12.2012

Caleb's Crossing

by Geraldine Brooks


Typically I love historical fiction but this one seemed too...I don't know, like a high-class Harlequin romance novel.
It's based on a bit of actual history, one of the first Native Americans to attend an American university -- Harvard, no less and way back in the 1600s. It's told through the eyes of Bethia, a Colonial girl who befriends him.
Some of the history was interesting, Colonial politics, Native traditions and daily life, but the storytelling was too melodramatic and the formal English language, while factual, made it worse.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver