Search This Blog

11.12.2012

People of the Book

by Geraldine Brooks


So I decided to give Brooks another try, after 'Caleb's Crossing' disappointment. And was glad I did.
This was an amazing book, with a huge scope.
It follows an ancient religious text and bounces from an art restorer/archivist working with the book to the people who had impact on the book throughout five centuries of its existence.
So many voices: a Jewish teenage freedom fighter in WWII, an African slave and artist, a rabbi living in Venice during the Inquisition, and more.
Every character is picture-perfect, the story is compelling...it was a perfect read.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver