Search This Blog

3.25.2013

The Orchardist

by Amanda Coplin

Honestly, the main reason I read this book was because it is set in North Central Washington, around Wenatchee, Cashmere and Methow Valley, an area I've come to love.

It takes place around the turn of the 20th century and revolves around a lone orchardist, Talmadge, who takes in two teenage girls fleeing a horrible situation.

Despite his desire to be left alone, the bachelor gets drawn into a complex situation involving the girls and the man who is after them.

I enjoyed the book, the plot was intriguing and the period and geographic details felt true. The characters were tough to get to know, however, a little too obtuse. I like complex characters but these just seemed...vague.  

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver