Search This Blog

8.02.2013

Let's Take the Long Way Home

j


by Gail Caldwell

I don't read at ton of nonfiction but this one was recommended by my local bookstore owner and I respect his opinion. He was right, it was a wonderful book. Caldwell rights mostly about the arch of her friendship with her closest woman friend but the book is about more than that: her career, her relationships, with family, friends and her beloved dogs.

The book is very simply written (Caldwell was a journalist) and I love her style. It's clear uncluttered language was poetic on some levels. She writes about her best friend, who is her soul mate in many ways and who died painfully of cancer. It's brilliantly told, this story of friendship and love. It makes you cry at the same time it makes you believe in the power of love.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver