Search This Blog

5.21.2015

Snow falling on cedars

by David Guterson

I've had more reading time than is typical in the last few months, which has been awesome. I've had this book for a while but I've been avoiding it. I vaguely recall the film, which was high in the romance aspect.

The book takes place in a quiet Puget Sound island community. Farming and fishing sustain it and it's populated with immigrants of many types, the most recent pre-WW11 Japanese. There is an ill-fated romance, a mystery and feelings of distrust and regret.

It's a beautifully written book, elegant in its prose but not overly lush. I realize I've been reading a lot of books set in the Northwest lately. Not sure why but I have been enjoying them tremendously.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver