Search This Blog

6.06.2012

The Help

by Kathryn Stockett

I resisted this book for a long time. It was wildly popular when it came out, which made me suspicious. It sounded kind of sappy and sentimental.
I resisted.
Then it was almost immediately made into  movie, which made me resist it even more.
Finally I caved and was happy I did.
It's a story of black servants in the Deep South, as the civil rights movement was just beginning. It's the story of their employers. It's the story of what a very odd relationship that is.
Told through the voices of several of the servants and one of the white women, you felt the emotions strongly and got deep into the story.
Popular isn't evil, I need to learn.
Leastwise, not always.

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver