Search This Blog

6.06.2012

The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffennegger

I almost didn't read this book because I had seen (some of) the movie and thought it was horrible.
Book? Way better.
It tells the story of Henry, a man who travels through time incessantly due to some unknowable genetic anomaly.
It is, at its heart, a love story. Somewhere along the line he meets Claire. They fall in love, have a child.
But the novel is free-flowing, moving from  scene where Claire is 10 and Henry 40, then back to a scene where Henry is 15 but his child is 8.
It can be confusing but if you relax and let it be what it is, the story is epic and the characters well-drawn. 

No comments:

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian that crosses my path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved. 
                                                                           Barbara Kingsolver